Vladimir region was formed on the 14th
of August 1944 with Vladimir as a regional centre. The territory
of the region is 29000 sq.kms. The density of population is 56.8
persons per 1 sq.km.
There are 19 districts including 3 in Vladimir; 22 towns, 10 of
which are of regional subordination (Vladimir, Alexandrov, Vyazniki,
GusKhrustalny, Kovrov, Kolchugino, Murom, Raduzhny, Sobinka, Suzdal).
The population of 3 of these cities (Vladimir, Kovrov, Murom) reaches
more than 100 thousand. There are 37 factory housing estates, 223
village Soviets, 2481 village settlement.
Total population of the district was 1647.6 thousand people by
the beginning of 1995.
The Assumption Cathedral of the Princess
The Cathedral of Dormition of the Princess's Monastery is an architectural
monument of the 15h-16h centuries. Frescoes by Mark Matveyev, an
outstanding 17th century artist, are to be seen on the cathedral's
walls in a state of good preservation. Modern Cathedral of Dormition
of the Princess's Monastery is an architectural monument of the
The Cathedral of ST. Demetrius was built in the late 12th century
in the yard of Prince Vsevolod the Big Nest. The medium-sized cathedral,
which was once connected with the Prince's palace by a structure
and was a typical palacial church, is an outstanding white-stone
monument of old Russian architecture. It stands out among them by
its marvellous carved-stone walls.
The Golden Gate is a remarkable monument
of the twelth - century architecture. It was erected in 1164 when
the building of ramparts around New City was finished. It is probably
the only remaining spesimen of such fine quality of old Russian
military architecture. The repairs gradually altered the Gate's
In 1469 the church of the Deposition of the Robe was refurbished
by Vasily Yermolin, a noted Moscow architect and sculptor. It was
subsequently twice rebuilt, and its aspect is now that of the late
18-th and early 19-th centuries, when the Gate underwent their last,
and most fundamental alteration.
What remains of the original gate of 1164 are the two massive walls
of big smooth blocks of white stone. The arch was even higher originally
but over the time is has sunk nearly a metre and a half into the
Inside the south wall is a stone staircase in two flights, leading
out onto the battlements. The lower flight comes to an end at the
exit to the battle platform in the passegeway. Graffiti, presumably
scratched by 12-th and 13-th century soldiers, survive on the broad
doorpost. The second flight of staircase leads to the upper battle
platform and the golden-domed church dedicated to the Deposition
of the Robe.
The Golden Gate was built by local craftsmen
who had worked in Vladimir and Rostov in 1158-1164. Among the crosses
on the South-side stone is a sign which reminds us that the workers
belonged to one of the princes.
The Golden Gate was an impregnable fortress when it was necessary:
in 1238 Mongol-Tatar invaders were powerless before the Gate and
they were able to break into the town only through a breach in the
The 17-th century Church of St. Nicholas-at-Galleys,
the smallest in Vladimir, stands at the foot of the hills where
a landing platform used to be. It is built according to the traditions
of its age. A broad band of kokoshniki runs across the top of the
facades, and the nalichniki are particularly ornate. Adjoined to
the north-west corner is an original bell-tower, shaped like a square
tower with a high spire, the niches of which are set with green